The Process of Losing Your Self Identity in a Cult
05-10-2010, 07:53 AM
The Process of Losing Your Self Idenity in a Cult
Here's an oldie but goodie for the newer members here. Tongue

Reg Smile "If we want to set our lives right and find peace, it is not the tolerant attitude of others that will do it for us. It will come about, rather, by our learning how to show compassion to them..... If we do not seek liberation from our obsessions, then becoming more withdrawn and less social may even make us more blind to them, since it can mask them." - John Cassian (He lived between 360 and 430 A.D. He was a monk in Bethlehem and Egypt.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2010, 05:24 PM
I have to say the process of finding yourself again is a long drawn out one. For a while there I was looking at new age websites and personality quizzes in the vain hope that something somewhere would trigger and I would 'remember' who I used to be.

Come out of that now, things are a bit less frantic. Finding my faith again made a huge difference. Now I just have to come to terms with the amount of churches out there who just want to continue on in religious programmes and only want backsides on seats.

Its hard to find like-minded people out in the real world.

Also known as Meg on our Australian SA website http://brisbanechristianfellowship.blogspot.com/
02-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Another good one to bring back.

Reg Smile "If we want to set our lives right and find peace, it is not the tolerant attitude of others that will do it for us. It will come about, rather, by our learning how to show compassion to them..... If we do not seek liberation from our obsessions, then becoming more withdrawn and less social may even make us more blind to them, since it can mask them." - John Cassian (He lived between 360 and 430 A.D. He was a monk in Bethlehem and Egypt.)
02-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Another good one. Thanks Reg. I have the book on controlling people and I need to find it and read it again. I am currently dealing with this stuff. I have a long ways to go. But it is helpful to realize I was dealing with a religous cult. They do think they are chosen, and superior. According to the minister's wife I am dark and depraved. LIke the pot calling the kettle black!

It is hard knowing how strong they are in their beliefs. Thanks again.
Find all posts by this user
03-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Bump

03-21-2013, 05:26 PM
When I read articles on cults and loss of identity I think it explains a lot of my childhood. Our family wouldnt have been considered a cult on the outside. We were a family of 8 so maybe we didn't need more members we had enough? lol We attended a mainstream church and in church acted as though we were part of them. Home was a different storry and this is where my father comes in - claiming God told him what to tell us
- that he himself knew us better than we did ourselves
- that our view of God was not the truth and he had the truth
- killing/injuring pets not in rituals per se - his was always finding a new
to perform the event
- tried to dictate clothing styles, when we didn't conform we were punished and shunned.
- endless silent treatments
- he decided what was worth presenting to God.
it went on and on......

running out time have to go sorry but this is helps to clarify....thanks for the thread.
Find all posts by this user
11-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Re-reading this one again. Are you still with us gerberra? Just wondered how things are going for you?

I think the reason that this Forum has slowed down is because a lot of people have connected with Facebook and are getting their support there.

That's good. As long as they are finding a place to recover. Although they cannot remain anonymous, they may have healed to the point not to worry about that. Unfortunately, they can be stalked by some very controlling stubborn types. If there are some newer into their recover, perhaps exiting their abusive churches/groups recently and want to remain safe from the stalkers, this is the place for them.

They can say what they want and remain SAFE!

03-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Somehow via FB found this topic. It was very good reading. I have had in several religious groups and researched about the topic of spiritual abuse when i realised that "full' gospel church what had seemed so perfect to me was really cult and i have to start to work it out again.
Thanx to 12 steps programs i have now discovered bit who i am in age of 29, still single and virgin, and trying to cope with life and its issues.
03-09-2014, 05:31 AM
Welcome elisha777,

Good for you. Stay with your principles and don't let anyone rob you of such a valuable possession.

01-12-2015, 01:15 PM
RE: The Process of Losing Your Self Idenity in a Cult
Another good one to read again.