Quip about "dead churches"
03-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Quip about "dead churches"
Short background: grew up in Maranatha, obviously that dissolved very painfully, then we went to a pretty wild Jesus movement church, then the sect of Maranatha we were involved in got the band back together under a different name. I remember growing up in the church and hearing quite often that catholics and mainliners weren't really Christian, because they didn't have the holy spirit. Their churches weren't spirit-filled, and so they were considered dead churches. The pastor even went so far as to say that his mother was going to hell because she was catholic one sunday morning. Suffice it to say, their views on hell were vivid enough that I knew better than to ever flirt with going to a dead church, lest I burn forever. Jump forward to this weekend. A Childhood friend of mine that followed us to all of those churches I mentioned with the rest of her family was back in town from a long way off. I recently had a child, and they made it clear they wanted to meet the little guy. So, even though my wife is away on business, I packed up the car with my little man and went to visit them. On the whole the trip was pleasant, it was good to see my old friend, and everybody was very nice for the most part. There was a couple I remember from my Every Nation days there, and we were having a conversation about my old friend' new inlaws, and how they have big arguments sometime. The couple from my old church, well, the husband starts asking questions. "Well, are they Christians?" Yes. "Well, are they really Christians though, like do they regularly go to church?" Yes. "Well, is it a spirit-filled church? I mean, they're not going to a dead church are they?" No, it's spirit-filled. "Well, i just don't understand how'd they be having relationship problems then." All of this kind of hit me like a ton of bricks. All in a couple of moments I realized, wow, after all these years these people haven't softened a bit. They still think that I'm going to hell for the church that i go to now, they think it's dead and absent the holy spirit, and they think that they're immune to the problems of being human because of the church they go to, which means I'm very susceptible to those same problems, because I don't go to that church. It just really put a damper on the evening. It sucks to hear people say stuff like that. It's just a reminder that no matter how hard you try to live a life of authentic faith, that they still are convinced you're going to hell and your day to day life is inferior because of where you practice.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply