When a spiritual abuser dies
05-28-2017, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2017 01:24 PM by neptune.)
When a spiritual abuser dies
Hi. I have a question about spiritual abuse.

When a spiritual abuser dies, without ever having apologized or seemingly paid for what they did, how is it possible not to think that they basically got away with murder? I mean, the person is in heaven. Yes, I know that all Christians will appear for the Judgment Seat of Christ, with many suffering loss, but that almost seems like a slap on the wrist. It's like, "They're in heaven—and there is no suffering in heaven. Yes, they may suffer some loss, but how bad can that really be? So, they essentially got away with all the horrible damage that they caused to others scot-free, and will never really have to pay in a way that actually means anything?"

I'd appreciate it if anyone could offer some perspectives on this subject, or at least point me to some resources that discuss it. Thanks for any info.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2017, 11:28 AM
RE: When a spiritual abuser dies
I see that no one seems to have an answer to my question, but I found this from an article on the Web:

"If a man has done something good, according to the Lord, he will be rewarded. But, if he has done something bad, he will receive this thing that he has done. And it won't be a slap on the wrist! Paul states in 2 Cor 5:11, "Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men ..." Like it or not, this is going to be a terrible judgment."

So, if this is true, maybe the assumption we have as Christians that, once a believer dies, all their pain and troubles are gone forever isn't entirely correct. That gives me hope that spiritual abusers (especially the unrepentant ones) will in fact have to face the music for all the heartache they've caused, and it's going to be something really awful.
06-20-2017, 07:45 AM
Sorry Neptune for not responding sooner. Glad you found an answer. It's a good question, I'm sure many wonder about. One basic principle is that God is just. Although, He forgives us upon repentance, He will met out appropriate Judgement/punishment to the unrepentant.

"Whatsoever a man sows, so shall he reap."

Reg Smile "If we want to set our lives right and find peace, it is not the tolerant attitude of others that will do it for us. It will come about, rather, by our learning how to show compassion to them..... If we do not seek liberation from our obsessions, then becoming more withdrawn and less social may even make us more blind to them, since it can mask them." - John Cassian (He lived between 360 and 430 A.D. He was a monk in Bethlehem and Egypt.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-20-2017, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2017 09:23 PM by neptune.)
(06-20-2017 07:45 AM)Reg Wrote:  Sorry Neptune for not responding sooner. Glad you found an answer.

Thanks, Reg. Or at least I think I found one. Wink

Quote:It's a good question, I'm sure many wonder about. One basic principle is that God is just. Although, He forgives us upon repentance, He will met out appropriate Judgement/punishment to the unrepentant.

Indeed. And if there truly were only minimal consequences for disobedience, then why should Christians try to devote their whole lives to serving God, when they could just live totally carnal, self-centered existences instead and enjoy basically the same rewards? So, it seems you really can't have your cake and eat it too.

And then there's James 3:1, which warns about stricter judgment for teachers. Since these are the only kinds of people who can really commit spiritual abuse, this verse doesn't exactly paint a rosy picture for them. The Bible does say that we will know the truth and it will set us free, and believing that spiritual abusers will eventually get their just deserts does feel liberating.

It's also interesting that the Bible doesn't really tell us much about the afterlife, so the prospect of various kinds of future sufferings for stubbornly disobedient Christians doesn't seem to contradict Scripture, as far as I can tell. Yes, God will eventually wipe away all tears, but that would occur at some time after the Judgment, I guess.

Anyway, this is an interesting subject, and no doubt we've only touched the tip of the iceberg. Big Grin
06-21-2017, 04:10 AM
Yes, as you said, " we've only touched the tip of the iceberg."

We are primarily a place people can come to to tell their stories about SA and what they are doing to recover, not to discuss Biblical topics. For more detailed info about questions such as yours, you may like to find a place where they discuss Biblical issues like this. We do not have all the answers about Bible topics.

Reg Smile "If we want to set our lives right and find peace, it is not the tolerant attitude of others that will do it for us. It will come about, rather, by our learning how to show compassion to them..... If we do not seek liberation from our obsessions, then becoming more withdrawn and less social may even make us more blind to them, since it can mask them." - John Cassian (He lived between 360 and 430 A.D. He was a monk in Bethlehem and Egypt.)
06-23-2017, 12:18 PM
(06-21-2017 04:10 AM)Reg Wrote:  We are primarily a place people can come to to tell their stories about SA and what they are doing to recover, not to discuss Biblical topics. For more detailed info about questions such as yours, you may like to find a place where they discuss Biblical issues like this. We do not have all the answers about Bible topics.

OK, thanks for the info. Can you recommend a forum that might discuss issues like this?
06-27-2017, 04:56 AM
You can try this one...

Christian Bible Discussion Forums
http://forum.bible-discussion.com/

06-28-2017, 04:36 PM
(06-27-2017 04:56 AM)Reg Wrote:  You can try this one...

Christian Bible Discussion Forums
http://forum.bible-discussion.com/

Cool—thanks for your help, Reg! Smile