Spammers take notice
01-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Spammers take notice
I believe if the same spammer hits a website more than once their IP address can be traced and blocked fairly easily. At least that's the case on most forum formats.

I was thinking that if the registration included an answer that couldn't easily be autofilled, such as "give a brief description of where you are in your recovery" or "what do you hope to gain through this website" that most spammers could be discovered rather quickly. Of course, something like that may already be in the registration. I really don't remember.

riverdove Wrote:I was thinking something along that line ... like making the registration process a little more elaborate to deter spammers. However, the down side is--those of who have suffered PTSD as a result of SA like many of us do ... often have difficulties trusting a certain web forum. Making the registration process harder may deter them from joining the forum altogether. I believe that it is the forum's desire to make it easily available for those who have been deepy hurt to find an open, easily available, anonymous and safe place to share their grief ...

On the other hand, if there's something in the program which can identify the spammers and ban them from registering with another new user name might be something worth considering? Just sharing my thoughts here ...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Spammers take notice
KSM Wrote:I believe if the same spammer hits a website more than once their IP address can be traced and blocked fairly easily. At least that's the case on most forum formats....

Their IP addresses are noted and they are blocked/banned from that address to post here in the future.

Reg Smile "If we want to set our lives right and find peace, it is not the tolerant attitude of others that will do it for us. It will come about, rather, by our learning how to show compassion to them..... If we do not seek liberation from our obsessions, then becoming more withdrawn and less social may even make us more blind to them, since it can mask them." - John Cassian (He lived between 360 and 430 A.D. He was a monk in Bethlehem and Egypt.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2012, 06:33 AM
Spammers take notice
Eleven more SPAM posts deleted and user permanently banned.

Reg Smile "If we want to set our lives right and find peace, it is not the tolerant attitude of others that will do it for us. It will come about, rather, by our learning how to show compassion to them..... If we do not seek liberation from our obsessions, then becoming more withdrawn and less social may even make us more blind to them, since it can mask them." - John Cassian (He lived between 360 and 430 A.D. He was a monk in Bethlehem and Egypt.)
01-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Spammers take notice
Reg Wrote:Eleven more SPAM posts deleted and user permanently banned.

Some days it just does not quit. I will keep an eye on the forum. Snow has us home bound,
01-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Spammers take notice
I'm glad they got busted out. The posted messages show different user names. I wonder if they're the same people, but somehow managed to register under multiple names. Whatever it is, they seem to be adamant in their intrusion here. I wonder if they ever get tired, or if the messages are computer generated responses. I know nothing much about all the ins and outs of computing besides the normal day to day use to get information and send messages.

I get the willies when feel intruded ... it's just a trigger from my PTSD. Telephone calls .... especially the unexpected ones ... I get freaked out when I don't know who's on the other line. I guess it's all part of my flashbacks .... I used to receive harrassing phone calls night after night from some abusive prominent personality in the old group ....

The messages from these spammers aren't themselves as intimidating, but they can become annoying besides being utterly irrelevant and distasteful. On the humorous side, the messages are rather comical due to its incoherent and nonsensical contents. I had to LOL at times ... it's still good to know that the funny side of me is still intact Tongue

Good job on the cleaning up!
01-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Spammers take notice
riverdove Wrote:I'm glad they got busted out. The posted messages show different user names. I wonder if they're the same people, but somehow managed to register under multiple names. Whatever it is, they seem to be adamant in their intrusion here. I wonder if they ever get tired, or if the messages are computer generated responses. I know nothing much about all the ins and outs of computing besides the normal day to day use to get information and send messages.

I get the willies when feel intruded ... it's just a trigger from my PTSD. Telephone calls .... especially the unexpected ones ... I get freaked out when I don't know who's on the other line. I guess it's all part of my flashbacks .... I used to receive harassing phone calls night after night from some abusive prominent personality in the old group ....

The messages from these spammers aren't themselves as intimidating, but they can become annoying besides being utterly irrelevant and distasteful. On the humorous side, the messages are rather comical due to its incoherent and nonsensical contents. I had to LOL at times ... it's still good to know that the funny side of me is still intact Tongue

Good job on the cleaning up!

I feel uncomfortable with the intrusions too. I had a long running issue with a gal playing chicken on line. I can relate to the flashbacks. I wondered if that is what caused the online chatter to almost dry up. Thanks for the encouraging note on the clean up. The process is a bit tedious, but the kudos make it worth the effort.
01-31-2012, 06:35 AM
Spammers take notice
10 more inappropriate posts (SPAM) deleted and poster permanently banned.

02-28-2012, 05:51 AM
Spammers take notice
11 more inappropriate posts (SPAM) deleted and poster permanently banned.

02-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Spammers take notice
Reg Wrote:11 more inappropriate posts (SPAM) deleted and poster permanently banned.

Sounds like we need to have a talk with the admin.
03-01-2012, 05:37 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 07:36 AM by Reg.)
Spammers take notice
Sticking this one.

[SIZE="3"]YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY AND YOU WILL BE BANNED PERMANENTLY ![/SIZE]