PDA

View Full Version : A boy, a train, and a bridge

Elisabeth
04-08-2007, 07:24 PM
My depression was "triggered" by something I saw today at church. The pastor showed a little 5 minute video. The video was about a man who went to work operating a drawbridge and brought his son along. The man was in the control room, and the son was playing outside. Just as a train was coming along, a ball the boy was playing with fell into the gears of the drawbridge, the boy followed, and the man was forced to choose between lowering the bridge and killing his son, letting the people on the train live, or saving his son, but keeping the bridge up, therefore killing everyone on the train. He chose to sacrifice his son, allowing those on the train to live. Anyone hear that story before? It's supposed to be a picture of the sacrifice God did for us, sacrificing His son so we would have eternal life. But for me, it just triggered my depression, particularly because it was a child who died in the story. I had heard it on the radio once before, and it bothered me then, but to see a video, yuk! There was nothing "graphic" of course; it just showed a man and his boy happy, walking, at first, showed the bridge, the control room, then it showed the ball and just the boy's hands reaching for it, then just the man's hands hesitating on the controls, then pulling them, and the train going by. :( :( :( But I could have really done without this. I try to avoid movies that are about the death of a child. I think the pastor should maybe have warned people that the video could be too intense for some. Or maybe just not shown it. I'm thinking of maybe calling him tomorrow and talking to him about it. :( :( :(

Turtle
04-08-2007, 08:19 PM
I think the pastor should maybe have warned people that the video could be too intense for some. Or maybe just not shown it. I'm thinking of maybe calling him tomorrow and talking to him about it. :( :( :([/QUOTE]

UH- huh!! I agree!
We are human; not expected to be God! Speaking as someone who has lost a child; something I would never choose. Having that depiction in "church" shows me that the person in charge of that power-point hasn't had to go through that devastating experience...(or isn't thinking) thank God. Still leaves one feeling p.o.'ed though. These people that dont' have a clue. I have come to the conclusion though...I dont' have the energy to be p.o.'d at evrything I hear. It was enough today to get through church hearing the worship songs, and good oldies, thinking that someday I'll hold my sweet baby in my arms, smiling at his mama! Went through a few kleenex , let me tell ya! Oh ya-a...still have the capacity to enjoy way-y too much chocolate, so all in all, it was a good day...

Anna Marta
04-09-2007, 04:04 AM
Hi,

I am "outraged!" IMHO this choice of a sermon illustration for an Easter Sunday shows stupidity on the part of the pastor. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with our Father God whose son was an ADULT and made his own choice to GIVE UP his life... God did not ALLOW his son to die to save the rest of civilization who were innocently doing what they should be doing on any given day. Spare me...

What this illustration shows me is that an irresponsible father chose to take his son to work at a very dangerous place and permitted his son to play alone outside with a ball. How much dumber does it get?!?! :mad:

So WHO put this father in that position and his son in such danger? Whose fault is it that dad would be forced to make such a choice? God? I think NOT!

I would have gone home depressed, angry and hardly in a state of mind to celebrate the resurrection of my Savior.

Yes! Give your pastor a call and ask how he made the connection between innocent travelers riding a train, an irresponsible father, an innocent child and the Son of God dying for a sinful world. :(

Love,
Anna Marta

Jerry
04-09-2007, 06:03 AM
My depression was "triggered" by something I saw today at church. The pastor showed a little 5 minute video. The video was about a man who went to work operating a drawbridge and brought his son along. The man was in the control room, and the son was playing outside. Just as a train was coming along, a ball the boy was playing with fell into the gears of the drawbridge, the boy followed, and the man was forced to choose between lowering the bridge and killing his son, letting the people on the train live, or saving his son, but keeping the bridge up, therefore killing everyone on the train. He chose to sacrifice his son, allowing those on the train to live. Anyone hear that story before? It's supposed to be a picture of the sacrifice God did for us, sacrificing His son so we would have eternal life. But for me, it just triggered my depression, particularly because it was a child who died in the story. I had heard it on the radio once before, and it bothered me then, but to see a video, yuk! There was nothing "graphic" of course; it just showed a man and his boy happy, walking, at first, showed the bridge, the control room, then it showed the ball and just the boy's hands reaching for it, then just the man's hands hesitating on the controls, then pulling them, and the train going by. :( :( :( But I could have really done without this. I try to avoid movies that are about the death of a child. I think the pastor should maybe have warned people that the video could be too intense for some. Or maybe just not shown it. I'm thinking of maybe calling him tomorrow and talking to him about it. :( :( :(

Dear Elisabeth,,,
This Pastor is not very well studied....This presentation is biblically WAY off the mark !!!!!! If you meet with him ,,,,tell him he needs to go back to school ;)
Love Jerry

Elisabeth
04-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Usually this pastor is pretty good. I'd like to think that he just had been given this sermon illustration and not realized that it wouldn't be accepted universally as the allegory it was intended to be.

I had "googled" this story, and found it on at least 10 sites on the internet that had to deal in some way with sermon illustrations, bible colleges, etc. Like I said, I had heard it on the radio, also. Why??? :eek:

Elisabeth
04-09-2007, 08:23 AM
I just realized the feeling that I have in here is not only depression, but also betrayal. I have been going to this church for a long time, from 1997 to 2000, and then from 2003 until now. It hasn't always been easy; with working through SA issues there were times when I was totally pissed off at the pastor, church, everything. But I recognized that it was due to the past SA. But this time, this is not due to the SA; it's due to a totally bone headed, unsympathetic stunt by the pastor. Churches should be safe places, and at this time, it wasn't. So I feel betrayed. :mad: :(

SpinningHead
04-09-2007, 08:31 AM
I would have gotten up and walked out on that video! :mad: :(

First off...Jesus didn't fall into bridge gears playing ball just as a train happened to be coming and God was put into a split second decision to let his son be killed or be the cause of the worst train crisis of the century. Jesus dying on the cross was a conscious decision made by God (all trinity present) for our sins and He came to this earth with full knowledge of what He was doing. Jesus died on the cross from a position of love, not a position of "I need to get my ball!" :mad: Jesus also knew that He would rise again in full life on the third day conquering sin and death! Did that child in the gears put himself back together on the third day and for what purpose!? That video would have absolutely ticked me off!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Second off...guilting people into salvation just doesn't cut it in my book...because what is guilt if not two steps away from fear and not love. And that's exactly the purpose of that video...to guilt people into salvation...b/c I'm sure the point was that everyone sitting in the congregation was a person on that train and you're all supposed to be grateful that father killed his son so that you could live and then guilty that now you're alive b/c that father killed his son.

I'd be running out of that church so fast that the door wouldn't have time to hit me on my keister on the way out!! That type of guilty salvation is step number 1 to make you conform to their church and NOT on a path of a true love relationship with Jesus Christ.

mary
04-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Dearest (((((((Elisabeth,)))))))

I hate that you and others were hurt in this way! :mad:

This pastor should be horse-whipped! And then tarred and feathered.

What a creep. He totally doesn't understand Christ's atonement, does he?

I wish I could have a half-hour alone with this so-called preacher. I may be small, but I pack a wallop.

I am shuddering, I am so angry for you and for everyone else who was subjected to this horrible video - and the even worse doctrine it promulgated. :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

Love,

mary

Ladybug
04-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Oh my!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you have called your Pastor by now! I'm so sorry that you had to sit through that video. Someone sure wasn't thinking!

I agree with Anna Marta, it's the Dad who was irresponsible. True, when Jesus came to earth. He knew what His mission was and He lovingly full-filled that by dying on the cross. It doesn't stop there! :) As He said that He would rise again on the 3rd day conquering death, hell, and the grave! So that the broken relationship between man and God can be restored when one comes to the foot of the cross. We are all on equal ground at the foot of the cross.

Good for you in taking that step to speak with your Pastor.

Elisabeth
04-10-2007, 09:39 AM
I talked to the church administrator yesterday and she agreed that video was too intense, and maybe pastor should have warned people before showing it, if he showed it at all. I also told her to tell pastor that it gave me nightmares, and I would like to have a dialog with him. I also e-mailed the pastor. Hopefully, he responds.

There has been a few positive things that has come from this, though. They are:
1. If something bad happens at church, you have to consider how bad it really was, and also the what the pastor (or whoever was the person behind it) historically teaches. In this case, it was a bad sermon illustration done by a pastor who I've known for a year and is usually right on with his teaching, and really loves the Lord and gets excited about Him. I don't think that at this point it's worth leaving the church about, or even distrusting the pastor; but I do hope I can talk it out with him.
2. No one, no pastor, teacher, or other leader can be spiritually all to everyone all the time. No one is immune to "boofing up" either. God is the only one who can be, and the only one who is supposed, to be all to everyone all the time.
3. Maybe a healthy relationship with a pastor and other spiritual leaders involves realize they are human and might make "spiritual mistakes." :)

SpinningHead
04-10-2007, 09:50 AM
I hope the pastor is receptive to your concerns and hopefully if others in the congregation are concerned, he response positively.

Maybe print out our dialogue and share it with him??

Good luck and I'm proud of you! :)

stereochild
04-18-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm pretty sure i have seen this video, and it is one i have been searching for for quite sometime now. If it is in anyway possible for anyone on this site to attain this video im desperate for it. please reply to this post on my email glamourthatkills@hotmail.com as i will check that frequently.
Any help i can get would be amazing for this.
thanks!

SpinningHead
04-18-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm pretty sure i have seen this video, and it is one i have been searching for for quite sometime now. If it is in anyway possible for anyone on this site to attain this video im desperate for it. please reply to this post on my email glamourthatkills@hotmail.com as i will check that frequently.
Any help i can get would be amazing for this.
thanks!

welcome...any particular reason you're interested in this video?